Saturday, April 12, 2008

April in Meggett


So--yesterday was my first art/craft show, and it was a great success! I had a great time manning the booth. I sold several things, and I got a commission for a 16 piece dinnerware set! I got some really good feedback and can't wait till I can build back up my inventory and get ready for another show at some point.

The weather was fantastic--about 80, sunny, with a nice breeze much of the day. When we got there, the gnats were atrocious and Lindsay had to make a trip to the store for some much needed bug spray. Definitely going on my list for the next outdoor show! My wife Lindsay was a great help! She arranged all of the pieces on the shelves, made signs and helped me taking money and writing up sales!
It was a small show with about 30 vendors and only about 300 attendees. I thought it was very successful for such a small show and I made about $400. Since the entry was only $25, I thought that was pretty good. Especially since everyone told me that I could leave not selling a thing. Now I can buy the shed that I so desperately need--my studio is in my garage and I want to get all of the non clay things out of my studio!

Pretty much everyone was helpful, and I only had one annoying customer. He picked up a large jug, looked at the price and said, "Whoa, are these prices negotiable," in a very nasty tone to which I replied, "No sir, they are very firm." The jug was priced at about half what I would sell it for in a gallery and he obviously knew nothing about handmade pottery.

Lindsay kept getting annoyed at customers that would walk in and pick up a dozen pieces, comment on how beautiful they were, and walk back out. I thought it was kinda funny.

While doing a show is a ton of work, it is still lots of fun, and if people are buying, can be pretty profitable. I don't think that I want to do lots a lots of shows, but a few a year would be nice I think.

Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the success of your show! I agree, I never bargain with anyone - I think it demeans our work.

    ReplyDelete