Sunday, October 5, 2008

Penis pot?

So...I made this pot today and in my brain it looked great. When it was done, I looked at it and thought, boy doesn't that spout look like a penis! So, I took it inside, and Lindsay confirmed my analysis. I wanted the spout to mimic the neck, so I added the little ridge.

What do you think? Is it an everyday, run of the mill, normal spout? Or does it turn an otherwise cute little ewer into a penis pot? My problem is that I have a few more to put spouts on and I don't want to make a line of penis pots! They make nice little bud vases, but I really wanted to make some ewers. I covered them tightly in plastic with some spouts, so I can wait a couple days for a consensus on the subject.

I think that I am finally getting the knack for pulling handles off of the pot. Here are a couple of pitchers that I think turned out pretty nice. They still aren't exactly what I want, but they are getting closer. I find that I end up making a much more substantial handle when I pull them off of the pot. I guess it's just like everything else, practice makes more perfecter....or something like that!


5 comments:

  1. I think that spouts often look phallic. I think it's kind of hard to get away from. Probably just better to consider, whether it's phallic or not, does it compliment the pot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not seeing penis when I look at that spout, so I don't think there is anything to worry about. And Deborah is correct, a lot of times spouts can be phallic, especially with the "scrotal" design element..but you are in the clear on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to laugh when I read the title of your post in bloglines....

    I agree with what deborah and jerry wrote :)

    I'd say as ewers, they work just fine and I wouldn't have thought phallic at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! I guess maybe I've just got a dirty mind ;) I'll go ahead with the rest of them!

    Jerry--the "scrotal" design element had me laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi- I like them- and the spouts.
    I was scrolling through your blog and looking at your wheel set up. We are posting our rebuilt mud box for my stand up wheel. I will do picture of the whole thing after we get set up back in the studio-
    But a mudbox is great for putting a lot of things at hand while throwing. It also has a drain for the water to go down to a bucket below.
    M
    PS- congrats on baby- its a great ride!

    ReplyDelete