Thursday, October 30, 2008

Well, now that's a box.

So, I really love my new Griffin Grip, but it really did make quite a mess of my studio. I decided to make a bigger splash pan that would catch all of the trimmings and keep them off of the floor. Basically, it is just a plywood box with slots cut out for the wheel. I made the box and cut out the slot for the base of the wheel head in the bottom of the pan first. I went to put it on the wheel and found that, yes, the wheelhead exists as well, so I had to cut slots into the side wall as well. That would be why my little flap wall has two gaps in it. I made the flap before I discovered my critical flaw :) I also ran out of plywood at the same time, so little gaps get to stay. Just call me Lazy!


I would love to one day make a better one, but this will work for now. I want to have the flap incorporate both the side and base in it so that there are no more gaps.

I just wish I had some stuff to trim.

On that note, I get to take a half day at work tomorrow so to the studio I go, during the day and everything!

5 comments:

  1. Great idea! You will be lining one with plastic and putting in a hole for a drainage before you know it.
    It does make things easier doesn’t it?
    Have fun in the studio tomorrow.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea. I think I will design something as well. I too would prefer to keeps the scraps a little more contained.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben - good solution! I think it would be great to have a larger splash pan all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty cool Ben! I was just going to say, your box looks a little bit like Meredith's set up - but she's already chimed in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks y'all! I'm still working on figuring out how to close it in better in the back.

    ReplyDelete