Saturday, February 21, 2009

A decision made

I just finished reading Brandon's blog and I have come to an important decision--I'm going to build a wood kiln. I don't know when, where, or how I'm going to pay for it, but it will happen. I had always thought that when I got the chance to build a kiln, it would be a natural gas or propane fired soda kiln. After assisting Keith in firing his wood/soda kiln, I now have this craving for more. There is just something about firing with wood--I can't describe it--you get so involved in the entire process. From cutting the wood, wadding pots, loading, stoking, and all the rest--it's just so gratifying.

So, now what to do? I want to start stockpiling bricks--used bricks. I have just one problem: I have no idea where to find any. If anyone out there has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. I don't mind going out a ways to pick them up. I know that used bricks are super hard to come by, and there is no way in the world I can afford to buy new bricks--have you seen the prices on those things lately??

I actually got half of my studio cleaned today--and I mean cleaned! I pulled stuff out and mopped under it and everything. I cleaned my wheel, all my tools, and even all of my bats! Now, I just have the other half to do! It started getting cold and I got hungry for dinner :) There's always tomorrow, right?

7 comments:

  1. I have been of the same mind for a while. Although I have never fired a wood kiln, I love the results. I have been toying with the idea of turning an old electric kiln into a wood kiln. Is that even possible? Not sure, but I think I'm going to give it a go...after I learn how to fire one and get the materials, etc, etc. Some day...some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I am looking for something I can't afford, I look on Craig's list every day, check nickel ads, mention to and ask everyone, etc. and eventually it will turn up. Would they have to be fire brick? Can you check with builders and see if any houses with real fireplaces are being torn down? Good luck with your brick search.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob--thanks for stopping by! A converted electric wood kiln sounds interesting--can't quite figure out a way to do it though.

    Linda--What are nickel ads?
    It would have to be fire bricks. Regular bricks can't handle the higher temps and would just melt. It's a bummer though, cause it sure would be a lot more affordable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I built a kiln using fire brick on the inside to create a firing chamber and regular brick on the outside as insulator. It worked very well, and saved on the purchase of firebrick. I got the firebrick at a discount by buying in bulk (a full pallet) at the local brick makers. The exterior bricks (the regular bricks) we got from salvage thru word-of-mouth. I'd like to build a larger kiln (when I have more space, of course :), and would like to model it in the same way. Good luck finding your bricks! Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank Julia! I had never thought of that. Do you have any pictures? I scanned your blog and didn't see any--I'm adding your blog to my reader :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. potterbarter. it's a group at yahoo where potters from around the country can post things for sale, giveaway, and want ads.

    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/potterbarter/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Amanda!! I joined up today!

    ReplyDelete